Terraforming Mars is a game for 1-5 players aged 12 years and over. Throughout the game players will use project cards which can be used to build cities, establish greenhouse gases, introduce animals and so much more. Terraforming Mars comes with great difficulties including the temperature being too cold, lack of oxygen and lack of oceans. To be in for the chance of winning the game these three factors will need to resemble earth, the player with the most points will win with a hefty bank balance.
Players income will be based on their terraform ratings which all start at 20. Ratings will increase when one of the three global parameters increases. Aiding you throughout the game are over 200 different project cards all contributing towards making the planet habitable. However, they often have requirements which must be met before they can be used. For example, higher oxygen levels and an increase in temperature will need to be met. Each round of the game includes three phases as known as the research phase, action phase and production phase all with different rules which can be found below.
Terraforming Mars Gameplay
We have provided an overview on how to play Terraforming Mars below:
- The game begins with the research phase, where all players buy cards from the four privately drawn.
- During the action phase players will take it in turn to complete actions, examples of actions are playing a card, funding an award, claiming a milestone and more.
- Continue doing this in a clockwise order until every player has passed.
- For the production phase players will get the appropriate resources according to their terraform rating.
- One all three parameters known as temperature, oxygen and ocean have achieved their goal the terraform will be complete.
- The winner of the game will be the player with the highest terraform ratings.
The full game components will be in a list below:
- Rules Booklet
- Game Board
- 5 Player Boards
- 17 Corporation Cards
- 208 Project Cards
- 8 Reference Cards
- 200 Player Markers
- 200 Resource Markers
- 3 Game Board Markers
- 9 Ocean Tiles
- 60 Greenery/City Tiles
- 11 Special Tiles
- First Player Tile