Dead of winter is a game where 2-5 players aged 13 years and over will take control of a team of survivors from various different backgrounds. Players must battle for their survival as the freezing temperatures threaten to take over the hungry survivors. Test your luck as you roll dice to reveal your fate against the zombies and the frost.
Travel around different locations as you hunt for the supplies needed to survive the horror that awaits. A wide range of characters and objectives means that no two games of Dead of Winter will ever be the same. This game is sure to test players abilities and will only end when a secret objective has been met.
Dead of Winter Gameplay
Below is a simplified version on how to play Dead of Winter, we recommend watching the video below for a full understanding:
- The game begins with the player turns phase, where each player resolves three effects.
- Reveal the first card on the crisis deck, this card will take effect if not prevented.
- Each player will now remove any remaining action dice and receive 1 action die plus another for each survivor controlled.
- Players must roll their dice and place is the unused action dice ready for future use.
- For the players turn phase, each players take turns to draw a crossroads card.
- Players can perform as many actions they want and then the next player will take their turn.
- The colony phase includes a further seven effects to be resolved, such as paying food, checking waste, resolving crisis, adding zombies, checking main objective, moving the round tracker and passing the first player token.
- When the game ends the player that has completed their secret objective will win!
Below you will find the full list of components for Dead of Winter:
- 10 Dual-Sided Main Objective Cards
- 24 Secret Objective Cards
- 10 Betrayal Secret Objective Cards
- 10 Exiled Secret Objective Cards
- 30 Survivor Cards
- 5 Player Reference Sheets
- First Player Token
- 25 Starting Item Cards
- 20 Crisis Cards
- 80 Crossroads Cards
- 25 Wound Tokens
- 6 Starvation Tokens
- 2 Track Markers
- Police Station, Grocery Store, School Item Cards x20
- Gas Station, Library, Hospital Cards x20
- Helpless Survivor, Food, Noise, Barricade Tokens x20
- 30 Zombie Standees and Survivor Tokens
- 60 Plastic Standee Stands
- Colony Board
- 6 Location Cards
- 30 Action Dice
- Exposure Die