Catan is a 3-4 player game where players aged 10 years and over can build their very own cities on the island of Catan. Collect and steal wood, brick, grain, sheep and stone to build your civilisations and gain points.
The game starts when all the players place settlements on the hex tiles with a road leading from them. Players will then take it in turns to roll the dice and either build or steal materials for their cities. The first player to get 10 victory points will be the winner of the game!
A brief description on how to play Catan can be found below:
- Begin the game by rolling the dice. If a player has a building next to hex tiles with numbers matching what you roll, they produce that resource.
- If you roll a seven, all players with more than seven cards must return half to the bank.
- Move the robber to a hex tile and steal a card from a player with a settlement on that hex.
- Discuss and trade resources with other players.
- Roads can be built adjacent to any roads or buildings you own at a price.
- Special Knight Cards will allow you to move the robber and steal, play three of these to gain the largest army tile.
- Resolve any effects after building and continue play clockwise.
- Continue the game until a player score 10 or more victory points and announce them as the winner!
The game components for Catan are in a list below:
- 19 Hexagonal Terrain Tiles
- 6 Coastal Frame Pieces
- 9 Harbour Pieces
- 20 Wooden Settlements
- 16 Wooden Cities
- 60 Wooden Roads
- 95 Resource Cards
- 25 Development Cards
- 4 Building Costs Cards
- 2 Special Bonus Cards
- 18 Number Tokens
- 2 Six-Sided Dice
- Wooden Robber Pawn
How to Play Catan